I am so amazed and dumbfounded by the amount of support my last post received. I am in awe of every click and every view and I am so happy it was able to touch so many people! Thank you!!
But I couldn’t stop myself. I love to write, I love to express my thoughts and emotions. And if people want to read them and enjoy them, well, then I am one lucky lady!
I’ve been extra motivated lately, extra empowered, extra eager, extra feisty… extra. I sat back today for a second and tried to think why… where’s the extra coming from? My husband did buy a new coffee pot (after I didn’t know my own strength and smashed the old pot in the dishwasher), but this hasn’t just been a caffeinated rush. Then I thought to my husband snoozing on the couch, my daughter napping, the dog’s faint barks in her slumber, and then it hit me – SLEEP!
After nine long months, my darling daughter has finally started to sleep through the night! And so have I (the first few nights were rough for me).
I realized I have extra energy because I’m sleeping in longer than 45 minute spans, but this extra ‘oomph’ is because I am finally able to spend some time on myself!
Woo hoo, party time, time to spend time on myself!
Wait.. what do I do for myself? No baby to feed, change or dress, dog already has been walked and fed. What do I do now?
I realized I had no idea what to do for me, so after wasting precious free time sitting around not knowing what to do for myself, I came up with a list of 10 WAYS TO SPEND TIME ON YOU, whether you have a spare 5 minutes or a solid weekend.
- Paint your nails. So this doesn’t really pertain to men, but hey don’t knock it until you try it. I always feel better, clean, funky and fresh with a new coat on my tips. It’s an easy fix, as long as all the dishes, food, babies, husbands, laundry can wait 15 minutes to dry because let’s be honest, there’s no worse feeling than finagling a tiny brush around your dominate hand and then smudging the heck out of it.
- Couch and chill. No Mickey Mouse Club, no Peppa Pig, no Doc McStuffins (or ESPN First Take). Set yourself up in front of the boob tube and sit back, put those feet up (hopefully slipper clad) and let your mind take a break.
- Shop. Surf the web, wander through the aisles of Target, or anywhere and everywhere in between. It’s something you can do that can be a quick trip to a few different online pages or a weekend getaway. Get something for yourself – doesn’t matter if it costs $50 or $.50. Spend some of your hard-earned money on you.
- Get Outside. Now, this really only works if the weather corporates, which it has been such a warm winter here I’ve been on a few walks this week! Take a jog, take a walk, skip, do cartwheels down the sidewalk – anything to get some fresh air in those lungs. You’ll be surprised with how rejuvinated you feel.
- Read. Read a book, read a magazine, hell reading this blog counts!! Get sucked into a story, article, joke – get your head out of your busy schedule and succumb to a love story, murder mystery, biography. Let your mind take a journey to any world at any time all while enjoying your couch. Again, slippers aren’t necessary but are recommended.
- Play a Game. With a friend, play a game by yourself. Doesn’t matter either way, just don’t play it on your phone or computer. Take a break from all of the screens in your life. Pull out that old, wrinkled deck of cards in the corner of your junk drawer or finagle a board game down from the top of the closet. Get those dice rolling.
- Phone a Friend. After your done playing solitaire, call up that best friend you haven’t seen or talked to in a while. Call your grandparents, you know they won’t keep you on the phone long but you can feel the love and see their smiles through the phone when you call.
- Enjoy your favorite food or drink. This one might seem silly, c’mon Jill, I eat and drink multiple times a day. Here’s the key, actually enjoy it. Don’t chug your water, juice, wine, vodka, etc. sip it, enjoy it. Don’t inhale your favorite food because you know you only have a few seconds until the baby needs another bite or you only have one free finger in your balancing act to try to feed yourself. Sit down, relax, put your napkin on your lap and breathe in your meal.
- Take a Shower. One that isn’t interrupted by baby cries, phones ringing or rushing around before work. Soak up the hot water, shave your legs and sing the whole Adele album. You know once that shower is on your voice sounds just like hers. Hello. It’s me.
Now if you’re like me, you like lists and this one was great but kind of exhausting, how in the hell are you going to find time to do all of that with everything else going on in your life?
Well, good news for you, you can already cross something off that list, you read this blog! Good for you, overachiever. You go Glen CoCo.